Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Salad

Yesterday for dinner I made a chicken salad. Ingredients were lettuce, boiled chicken thighs, strawberries, blackberries, celery, and asparagus. nothing special except that this is the first salad I've made where the fruits and vegetables worked well together.
















The real thing about this meal (and the salad was a meal) was that I made a vinaigrette salad dressing. Here is the recipe:
1 cup salad oil (aka any kind of vegetable oil, I used regular vegetable oil)
2/3 cup vinegar (we only had an apple vinegar, but it didn't mess it up)
2 teaspoons snipped fresh herb (or 1/2 teaspoon dried herb, I used oregano, but you can use thyme, oregano, basil, taragon, dillweed, or chives)
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon of paprika (optional, and we were out or this)

In a screw top jar combine all ingredients. Cover and shake well. Chill. Shake again just before serving. Makes about 1 1/2 cups.

And that's it! No reason to ever buy salad dressing again, it is just too simple to make it at home. Once I figured out the ingredients and whether or not we had them, this took 5 minutes to make and even my 13 year old sister loved it. Dad, on the other hand, wasn't a fan, but he couldn't handle the vinegar, so it didn't matter anyway.













 
Soon I plan on making mayonnaise and french dressing (for dad, that's his favorite) because it is so simple to make the condiments and I'm sure it's a fraction of the price at the grocery too.

Shake it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment